Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Vacation Catch up...
I realized when I was thinking about posting my trip to Texas last week that I never even really put a dent in the Alaska pictures, I meant to do a few posts on that trip since it was longer and there's about a million pictures, but I did one then got distracted with other stuff! Here's a post of our first excursion in Ketchikan, Alaska (our first stop on the cruise), hopefully I get around to doing the rest of the trip before I get way to far behind!!
Our first port in Alaska was in Ketchikan, it was a tiny town known for tourists! The excursion we did here was a "Deadliest Catch" Crab fishing (we really just watched how they catch crabs in Alaska!) it was very exciting! Then it fallowed with a crab feast at a Lodge after! It was so exciting, we had a blast!!! (Mayli, my mom, me and Steve)
We rode the boat for awhile out to where they dropped the crab pots earlier that day to pull them up and see what they had caught! My dad volunteered Steve to help pull the pots up Which was pretty exciting! This is him pulling the rope!
This is what the pots look like after they pull them up!! They don't actually keep nearly this many crabs, they have to throw back all the females and all the males that don't span to 6.5 inches underneath!! For this particular tour though they just do it for show and throw them all back! which is nice!!
Steve showin' off his muscles after pullin' up the pot!! :)

They let us all hold them which was exciting, and not to scary so long as we held down their pinchers! (my dad, Steve, and my brother-in-law Brian!)
My four yr old nephew Parker is a self proclaimed "scaredy-cat" He is scared of most things and he knows it...his dare-devil 2 year old sister was all excited about the crabs but little Parker was not all that into them! The tour guide was so cute with him, he had Parker yell some things out on the boat ride, but when he asked if he wanted to hold one obviously he refused! After that the guide held this one over the top of Parker's head for awhile and everyone was cracking up!! Poor kid! He was not to happy when he looked up:) I don't know who would be though!
My 1-yr old nephew Jaden, on the other hand was not so scared of them! In fact he was trying really hard to grab this one! He just about grabbed a leg in one hand when the guide freaked out that he was gunna break off the leg and Cassi had to pull him away!!:).. they are such cute kids!
After the fishing we went back to a lodge for a crab feast! This was such a blast! It started out pretty fancy with nice salads to start and nicely set tables! Then they broke out the crab!! It was never-ending crab! All the workers were young and really fun! They taught us how to eat the crab (basically the messiest and craziest way you possibly can!..they said if a piece of shell flings and hits someone at another table, don't say sorry but say TAG you're it!!) then they told us it was a contest, whichever table had the biggest stack of crab parts on the center plate won!! They just kept throwin' crab at us till no one could eat anymore!! I thought the contest wouldn't be fair for our table because me and my sister don't like crab and we were also by my grandma so I was thinking Steve would have to carry us! Little did I know that my grandma is an EXPERT crab eater and LOVES it! and when it is a race my sister and I will do what we can!:) It actually was really good crab! it was such a blast! (my grandma, me, Steve and Ashlyn)

My sister Ashlyn braving the dreaded crab!!
Here's my dad crab feasting!
One of the many opposing tables! It may look like they have a disadvantage with the kids.. but the kids actually seemed to do pretty good, they ate a lot for being so small!! (Parker, Cassi, Jaden, and Brian)
Even the baby loved the crab! just look at his plate! I love this cute picture of him!!
Well after eating as much as we could and looking around the room we realized every other table had WAY larger piles then us! So we had to take drastic measures! While one of the waitresses was walking around she hinted to our table that they measure the pile from table-top to crab pile-top, nothing inbetween mattered! So we took advantage of that and right when they were walking around measuring we put the pile on top of all the plates, then Steve threw some cups under to raise it up more!! To everyone else's dismay we were declared the winners!!!:).. It was pretty funny!! Everyone had a great time in Ketchikan!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
How fun!! Your family is so cute! Your little nephew is adorable! I don't think I would touch the crabs! :)
That looks so fun!! I am glad you posted more pictures of your trip. It's so fun to see all the cool things you did.
Your niece and nephew are SO CUTE!!!
you need to post more often or else you will never catch up on your trips! you travel a lot! i'm jealous! jk
I'm so happy that you found me! I'm still trying to figure out how to do all this blogging stuff so I haven't even tried looking for other people yet....That makes me so happy to hear that you guys live in Queen Creek now; even though it's so far from everyone else in america, that's where my parents live so I'm there the whole time when we come to visit. So now we will definitely have to do something with you guys the next time we're in town! Contrats on being pregnant!!! How cool, I'm very excited for you both :)
When I looked at your music list I laughed out loud when I saw "That Thing You Do" because I totally remember that we both loved that movie so much! I even remember putting on the soundtrack at your house and singing all the songs together at the top of lungs; man we had some really good times! Speaking of which, I was actually thinking about you a few weeks ago cause I was in Albuquerque and I, without knowing it right away, went to the Dion's Pizza resturant that was right next to where we used live. When I recognized it I called my parents and I they confirmed that it was the exact same one! It brought back a lot of good memories of when we used to play together all the time, and our family would go to your house for parties and stuff, it was wicked fun :) Anyways, sorry I'm leaving the longest comment ever, it's just been a long time. I'm so happy you guys are doing so well and I'll let you know the next time we're coming into town so that we can meet up!
Post a Comment